Tuesday 21 July 2009

Atom Feed for SVN Commit Log

Recently the developers of Extjs added a page that opened up their subversion commit log so users could see what was being added/fixed. Unfortunately they decided to only publish it using the output of svn log -v --xml rendered in an Ext.grid.GridPanel.

It is a nice example of what you can do with their framework, but this format is not so friendly to use or keep tabs on so I've created a mashup that converts it to Atom Syndication Format so interested users can subscribe to it in their favourite feed reader.

The URL to subscribe to is http://feeds.feedburner.com/ExtjsSvnCommitLog. I'm hoping the developers publish their own feed soon. If they do then I'll stop mine.

Here is the script I wrote to convert it to Atom. Witha few tweaks it should be usable for any SVN commit log.

My first attempt at this was to use Yahoo! Pipes to try and munge it but I couldn't get it to work. I'd be interested to see if Pipes was capable of doing this.

Since writing it I also found this XSLT script that does something similar.


Update: I've cleaned the script up and made if reusable for any SVN log source. See the documentation for details on how to use it.

No comments: